Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Shifting my Perception - Day 25

Today I had a good meeting after school about, among other things, having difficult conversations. It was very interesting because I learned something about myself. I don't like it, and feel very threatened, when I feel like my intelligence is questioned. I feel like I listen to people when they present ideas to me and I think about what they say and then make a comment based on that thinking and my own ideas on the topic. When others do not reciprocate that courtesy, I lose it.

Some of the most important relationships in my life are being jeopardized because I can't deal with someone I respect thinking I am an idiot. I have to shift my perception in order to be able to have a difficult conversation with someone.

It's funny, because I have these kinds of positive conversations everyday with my students. I need to translate those skills to my friends and my colleagues.

Recognizing my flaws in the situation will help me to make better choices in future confrontations.

Shifting my perception about conflict is also going to help me in my journey with health and weight loss. I need to shift my perception about food.

Food is a fuel source. It is not love, comfort, friendship or anything other than nourishment for my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment