Sunday, March 10, 2013

Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do.

March 7, 2013

It's interesting to think about how discouraged I have been about my weight loss for the last 15 years. Since I graduated high school, I have steadily gained about 40 lbs-60lbs and I have spent the whole time lamenting and why me-ing. I know why. I eat when I am emotional and when I'm sad and when I want to celebrate and and and... I stopped exercising when I was a senior and only briefly got back into it a few years ago.

I am not going to say it feels different this time, like some magical trip wire has turned something on in my mind. It feels the same. I still want to eat all the time. ALL THE TIME. I still want to sit on the couch and watch Doctor Who all the time. But I am not letting myself. I am living day to day. I set small goals every day. I do not think about the huge amount of weight I need to lose or then number of minutes I want to cut from my mile time. I have those big goals written down so I know what they are, but I focus most of my energy on the day to day goals. Don't eat the snacks in the teacher's lounge. Run today. Drink water today. Complete small goals and make small changes and celebrate small victories.

I am not going to ever stop wanting t stuff my face with nachos, but I can recognize that I have control over my actions and that in the long run, eating those nachos will not make me feel better. In fact, it will probably make me feel worse.

The hardest thing about change is believing that you can do it. Being complacent is the worst emotion I can have. I can make small changes in my life that make a difference today.

No comments:

Post a Comment