Thursday, April 4, 2013

I'm lapping everyone on the couch.

Yesterday was my longest run to date.  About 4.75 miles total with the warm-up and cool-down.  The whole time I was running, I was saying to myself - "It doesn't matter how slow you are going, you are lapping everyone on the couch."  I kept saying this because there were a ton of runners out yesterday and they all were passing me.  I was super frustrated at first, because I feel so fat and slow sometimes.  It is at these times that I start to derail and fall into my old habits of telling myself that I am never, ever going to be a runner. I am never, ever going to be sleek and muscular like those people passing me...but yesterday was different for some reason.  Those voices in my head that were trying to defeat me were overpowered by some other voice - a much stronger voice that has been getting louder everyday.  The one in my heart that is letting me know that I AM doing this.  That tells me "I AM a runner."

I kept going.  I did not stop and you know what?  I wasn't going that slow...in fact in the month since the DAM run, I have cut about 45 seconds per mile off of my time.  I've gone from 13:16 miles to 12:30 miles.  I think the longer I do this, the louder that voice will get.  It feels really, really good.

I am a runner.


No comments:

Post a Comment